Saturday, August 4, 2012

An Introduction

I think I'm stuck in the saddle now... Addicted.
 
I guess I should start this blog with a somewhat brief overview over my limited but enjoyed horse-related experiences, since that's what this entire deal is about. I should also start by stating: I'm not used to blogging. (I started a blog a while back but got sidetracked). Aside from random posts on facebook, I'm not entirely accustomed to writing about myself or what's going on in my life. Especially not in detail.


And something tells me I'll be writing this blog and talking to myself! Oh well, it will make an excellent journal at least.

But I digress.

My name is Crystal and, ever since I remember, I've been in love with animals of the non-human sort. They fascinate me beyond belief and my interest in them continues to expand as I grow older. My goal is to have a career working with animals- a livestock veterinarian would be a dream come true. But currently, I'm enlisted in the Army as an active duty member working with computer networks. Far from what I planned, but I'm working it.

After joining the army and finishing training, I was stationed in Fort Bliss, TX where I currently reside, not too drastically far from my hometown of Houston, TX (then again, it's a big state!). After settling down in this new place, I searched for the one thing I had been wanting to do since I was very young- horseback ride. And boy, was I going to emerge myself as much as what little time and money I had allotted.

El Paso isn't the biggest of cities. I didn't expect a large selection of horse businesses like Houston had, but I found a few places that sparked my interests. For a short while, I frequented a small horse farm to begin my riding adventures. I will never forget my first lesson on a too-sweet gray Arabian gelding. He was always a bit difficult to get going, but he was level-headed and I felt comfortable with him. My first lesson consisted of walking and trotting in a small arena. He was also the first horse I rode bareback on, and the first feeling of freedom and "flight" I experienced at the canter

 Unfortunately, while volunteering taught me a lot about basic horse care and gave me a good jump start to this new world of horses, lessons became more and more infrequent. I don't believe it was done intentionally, but my lessons seemed to have been put on the back burner. Riding often unwilling horses while also being green myself made me feel like I wasn't growing. And I wanted to learn.

And so, I began to visit another horse farm not far from El Paso in a tiny town in New Mexico. This stable's primary focus was English. I... was unfamiliar with English. My goal at the time was Western and I was interested in reining and barrel racing. But I gave it a try and did a little Dressage.

The instructor seemed knowledgeable enough, however the horses were a little too advanced for me. So, I took Western lessons with the barn owner, a kind, quiet lady who taught me a good amount for almost a year. But as I grew and learned, I found that my lessons were becoming stale. And English, once again, struck my interest.  So with that, I once again switched barns.

That's where I'm at now as of writing and editing that post. Hopefully I will keep up with this blog. Even if no one else reads it, it will serve it's purpose as a journal on my riding and improvements.

"Able" from Tres Milagros Stables, El Paso TX 



























































"Austin" from Miller Horse Farm, La Union NM. I rode this boy for quite a while and he taught me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment