Saturday, August 4, 2012

1st Lessons

This isn't my FIRST lesson, however it is my first under a new instructor at a new barn on a new horse. I thought I'd play a little catch up.


First day meeting Tina my riding instructor who seems very knowledgeable, personable (but tough), and experienced. It was my first time riding English after I did it mid 2011 at Miller Horse Farm.
                It was an exciting day for me… I would be getting to ride the amazing Friesian, “Helena Z”. Helena is a 10 year old, 15.3hh mare trained to 3rd level dressage. I consider myself very lucky to be able to ride this Friesian mare. The breed is dreamy. Gorgeous horses with an outstanding personality. I can’t believe I’m able to ride one!
                We started in the round pen so that I, Helena, and Tina could get a better feel for each other. And like I figured, Friesians  have a bigger trot that what I’ve experienced in the past. There were a few times I thought I was going to get bounced out the saddle. I also found that I’m having issues with my feet- they keep slipping out the stirrups! After a little research, it seems this is due to me having a tight knee.
Maintain: Confidence and my eagerness- always ready and waiting for that next lesson.
Improve: Pretty much everything else! My seat is decent according to Tina but needs more work. I also need to relax my entire leg. I need to LOOK where I am going and remember... HEELS DOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment