Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Ride on Beans (Aka Prince)


A friend of mine is selling her TBH gelding. He’s a bit over 16hh, chestnut with a white blaze and one white sock on his left hind. Off the track but I’m sure it’s been years. She calls him Beans or Prince. I considered buying him but concluded it would be a rash, irresponsible decision if I would have done that. A horse is a horse and still needs a good home, but my finances are not right at this time and I want that good, special horse. Even if I have to pay a good few thousand. I’m hoping the saying, “Good things come to those who wait” holds true. Still, I thought I’d ride him. 

                He needs work but is by no means a bad horse. He needs coaxing and encouragement to listen. She told me two other riders couldn’t even get him to move and thought it might be because they were male! Who knows. He was a bit lazy to trot but I got him to do a few decent laps in the round pen. His stops were quite good, but he would not back. After a few minutes I took him into the larger arena where he a little less than eager to be ridden. He REALLY wanted to go back to his stall. Again, most coaxing and assertiveness and he cut it out. To not make him any more sour and spoiled than he already was, I dismounted him on the far side of the arena and walked him out. 

He needs a manner check and more weight and muscle, but I can tell he is a good boy with that good TB personality. I hope he finds a good home!

Here's a photo taken by his owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment