Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lesson 8

Good lesson today. The more comfortable I am, the more confident I am, the better I progress!


Today was mostly trot work off the lunge with a little canter work on and off lunge.  I was able to get a video of the first few minutes of my ride which was an eye opener...

Me feet REALLY need work. I they don't move around the horse like I thought, but I do need to keep the balls of my feet on the stirrup better and I need to keep my heels DOWN! Hopefully time and a constant reminder from my instructor will fix this. I'm also getting my diagonals better without looking.

Cantering right once again was no issue. I actually got it straight from the walk today and did it off the lunge. However going left I am still having issues... Walking is getting better, but when we trot and canter left, Helena likes to pull tricks. It's certainly not our favorite way! It didn't help that I was either not assertive enough or using the spur on that side too roughly. Poor Helena. Such a patient, forgiving horse for nooby me. I told my instructor that I would have thrown my rider off if I was a horse! I need to learn how to regulate how much pressure I put on the spur... I tend to go from zero contact to too much contact. So back on the lunge I went, where I found out it going into the canter going left is much easier than what I'm making it. I think I anticipate her being difficult that way so I over compensate. I'm finding that there is no need for over compensation- but I do need to stay one step in front of her!

Anyway, here's the video!



Maintain: Good trot along rail, keeping horse on rail, feeling my diagonals instead of looking at them.
Improve: FEET! Also, my hands need to be a little quieter. I don't think I'm tugging on her mouth, however my hands still don't appear to be very...still.

No comments:

Post a Comment